Dear STEM Ambassadors,
The 2020 Connecting Science Public Engagement Prizes close to nominations on Monday.
We have seen some fantastic commitment and engagement activities from STEM Ambassadors this year. Please consider nominating yourself, someone else and/or a team for a prize. We appreciate that many public engagement activities had to be cancelled due to COVID-19. This will be taken into account and, where appropriate, judging will focus on the development, design and creativity of public engagement activities that were unable to take place, as well as the proactivity and innovation shown by the nominee.
It only takes two minutes to nominate yourself or someone<http://www.bit.ly/PEprizes2020> else working at the Wellcome Genome Campus.
There are five prizes available:
* Commitment to Public Engagement: celebrates individual members of staff or students who have demonstrated significant and longstanding commitment to public engagement. One winner will receive £500.
* Public Engagement Innovator: recognises individual members of staff or students who have demonstrated outstanding proactivity or creativity in public engagement. One winner will receive a personal prize of £250 plus a development award of the same amount to be directed towards a public engagement or related professional development activity.
* Public Engagement Advocacy: recognises members of staff or students who have enabled positive change in public engagement through leadership, guidance, practical measures or emotional support. Prize can go to a group or individual. One winning individual will receive £500 or a group will receive £1000.
* Collaboration in Public Engagement: recognises a group of individuals who have worked particularly well together to embed public engagement into their work. One winning group will receive £1000.
* Public Engagement Prize for Technical Staff - Sponsored by the Technician Commitment: open to members of Technical staff across the entire Campus who have undertaken or supported high quality public engagement as part of their work at the Wellcome Genome Campus. One winner will receive a personal prize of £250 plus a Technician Commitment Grant of the same amount to be put towards public engagement or a related professional development activity.
For eligibility guidance and more information on how to nominate yourself or someone else by Monday 15 June, go to www.bit.ly/PEprizes2020<http://bit.ly/PEprizes2020>.
The Public Engagement team
Tel: +44 (0)1223 496822
Wellcome Genome Campus Public Engagement | Wellcome Genome Campus | Hinxton | Cambridgeshire | CB10 1SA | UK
Follow WGCengage on Twitter<https://twitter.com/WGCengage> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/wgcengage/>
Wellcome Genome Campus Public Engagement is part of Connecting Science, which enables everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
Dear STEM ambassadors,
I hope you are all keeping safe and well.
Would you be interested in supporting a bioinformatics project for
secondary school students?
education team are working with a UK teacher who has developed an 8-week
extra-curricular bioinformatics course for her Year 11 and Year 13
(15-18 year old) high school students who are being taught virtually due
The course will cover content beyond the biology curriculum encouraging
students to expand their interest by exploring the field of
bioinformatics and current scientific research. Over the first four
weeks students receive a practical introduction to bioinformatics,
including demonstrations of some of the most important open
bioinformatics databases and how to use them. In the second part of the
course, which will run in June, students are asked to explore their own
research question(s) which can be tackled using bioinformatics approaches.
*We are looking for bioinformaticians who would like to support the
research project by submitting project ideas for the students to pick
from.* Things to bear in mind when considering project ideas:
1. The research question should be relevant to current life sciences
2. Students should be able to answer it by reading background literature
and using bioinformatics tools.
3. The research project should take them 12 hours (spread over 4 weeks).
4. Students benefit hugely from engaging with scientists, to add to the
experience for them and to further support their project it would be
great if they could submit questions to you while they are working on
the project or to show you their research outcomes at the end, these
communications would be moderated and co-ordinated by ELLS, the students
would not contact you directly.
Inclusion of a research project has been inspired by BEDROCK
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bioquest.org_bedrock_in… >, a bioinformatics education
forum, if you need some inspiration check out their submitted research
projects <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__bioquest.org_bedrock_p… > for ideas.
If you are interested or would like more information get in touch with
Eva Haas <haas(a)embl.de> at ELLS or Fran Gale
<francesca.gale(a)wellcomegenomecampus.org> of Connecting Science.
If you have a project idea please submit it, using the template
attached, by *10:00* *Monday, 8 June*.
Once fully developed, the plan is to make this course available to other
teachers in Europe. Contributions from anyone submitting a project idea
will be acknowledged when the course is published.
Public Engagement Officer, European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
Wellcome Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1223 492 648
Web: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ebi.ac.uk_about&d=D… <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ebi.ac.uk_about&d=D… > |
Twitter: @EMBLEBI | Facebook: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_EMBLEB…
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_EMBLEB… > | LinkedIn:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.linkedin.com_compan… <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.linkedin.com_compan… >
My usual working days are Monday - Wednesday.